Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Small things #11:


1) Unstructured time. The picture above is the first one that comes up on a google image search for 'unstructured time'. Why should spending time always need to be 'profitable'?

2) My air mattress, which did not spring a leak until this weekend. If I fill it before I go to bed, I only have to fill it once in the middle of the night!

3) Thai food. Especially panang red curry with tofu.

4) Recognizing that what you have in your hand might be more valuable to someone else. I got a massage yesterday. The m.t. was telling me how she always wanted to be a marine biologist when she was a kid. But then she had to grow up and let go of her dream. She's always regretted it. I happened to have both a box of notecards AND Earthwatch's 2009 magazine of science volunteer/vacation opportunities in my bag. (What are the chances?!) So I wrote her a note, and left her the magazine. I also tipped her 50%, to get her started. I like to imagine her running with that.

5) Time passing. I also picked up a book about bridge yesterday, published in 1976 by, gasp!, a woman. The introduction is all about how you shouldn't assume that a woman doesn't have the endurance (!) or the intelligence (!) to play bridge, because Dorothy Truscott breaks all the barriers. I am so, so lucky that I didn't even know that there was a bridge barrier for women. You've come a long way, baby.

No comments: