Monday, October 6, 2008

Day One.

Found my way to the building, which you actually can, in fact, see from where I'm living. There's a shortcut, if I use the lawn for walking on, instead of just looking at. I have a nice view of the golf course, and overlook the (covered!) bike parking, so I can keep an eye out to see what's happening.

To summarize the office:
Workstation: Dell Optiplex 755
OS: Linux
Speed: slow... OMG, open Firefox already!
Window: yes
Door: no
Office-mate: no
Light switch: not really (It's a cubicle farm)
Post-its: yes
Pens: yes
Inherited food from whoever worked at this desk before: yes
Inherited CD's from whoever worked at this desk before: yes
Coffee-maker: Yes. Dozens. Literally. Around every corner in the building.
Library: Yes. Including People magazine (how odd!).
Noise: None. Seriously. I can hear at least three other people typing. I can hear the air conditioner going. It's creepy.
Breakfast burrito lady: not spotted yet.

So there you have it.

Oh. Wait. What am I actually DOING? No one seems to know, precisely! Today and tomorrow, I am to learn CASA (Common Astronomical Software Application). I have spent the morning (after meeting people, getting the tour, setting up user accounts, etc.) downloading the tutorials we'll be doing tomorrow, and working my way through Chapter 1 of the cookbook. Then I went home to get lunch (PBJ and a string cheese), because I forgot to bring my leftovers here to the microwave.

I'll catch you all up soon on the trip and the new digs. Promise.

1 comment:

jcaastro said...

Do you feel like Fran on her first day?