Friday, February 20, 2009

What is the word?

One of the tragedies of modern times is that so many words have fallen out of use. That weakens our ability to think and communicate in detail. My favorite example is 'melancholy', which describes a very specific, non-clinical emotional state. When I am melancholy, no other word will do. But the word is rarely used these days. I'm always on the lookout for feelings or experiences for which I have no word. And then I either make one up, or spend a lot of time looking for the word. And then I try to get other people to use it too. But just now, I'm stumped.

I'm learning to play bridge, and am filled with a sort of awe-struck, joyful laughter at how complicated it is. I can't help but shake my head at people, but not in a mad way, or as though I don't understand, just sort of an incredulous but admiring and good-natured 'Wow! People! Wow!' kind of way. (See how I don't have a word for this!?)

Let me explain a little. To play bridge, you confine yourself to fifteen words (one thru seven, the four suits, and a few extra), and then try to communicate the precise state of your 13 cards to someone else using only those fifteen words. There are entire systems of communication, and you are only allowed to do very specific things in those systems. And people take this VERY SERIOUSLY.

As a physicist, I might say, pompously, 'Well, yes, complication, of course.' But this is not the complication of nature, which is necessarily complicated, and can only be simplified so far before your idea doesn't represent the reality anymore. Bridge is an artificial complication---a system of rules that take years to learn, and decades to master. And it serves no practical purpose! How complicated are the rules? I have just received a summary of the American system. It runs 42 pages.

Wow! People! Wow! I wonder what the word is for this feeling?

1 comment:

-S. said...

Marvel: to be filled with wonder, admiration, or astonishment, as at something surprising or extraordinary

Maybe...