Friday, September 19, 2008

Nesting...

It's kind of bad for me to have too much time to listen to NPR. Especially when the world is as unnerving as it has become this week! I get all jittery when they start saying things like 'worst financial crisis since the Great Depression', and 'additional 3 TRILLION dollars of public debt'. That always makes me run for my calculator, and find out how much I, personally, owe. $40,000, in case you were wondering.

It inspires a nesting impulse. Yesterday, I made and canned a year's worth of jam, from our own grapes. Today, I made pickles, and granola. I feel a strong desire to plant food (we are reading: 'Small-scale grain raising'). Turns out we probably could raise enough wheat and corn to fill our needs right here on our 1/2 acre. And now that the 'victory chickens' are laying, we might live through it all.

It's not that I really think it's all about to go in the crapper. It's just that I don't know that it's not. If you see what I mean. And I don't actually see anyone with a plan, anywhere. Except maybe Google, which seems to be the only place in America that has caught on to the whole idea that eventually, the oil will be gone, and all fossil-fuel based solutions will buy us a year or two at most.

It doesn't help that the University has apparently just been asked to cut 2% of it's budget. That doesn't sound like much, until you realize that enrollment is actually UP. This always happens when the economy goes bad, because everyone tries to get re-educated, so they can find a new job. So we now have more students to teach with less money. Again. I suppose I should just be thankful that my office has a light switch.

No comments: